Hopefully you got to read our blog last month on self-managed learning – why you should create a learning plan? Taking ownership and being in control of your learning is key to getting what you want out of your career and life.
Taking this a step further, we thought essential to look at how being in control of your learning can really help you embrace the stormy seas of change in your workplace too. Through creating your learning plans you can use these and your learning to make you more resilient in times of change.
First acknowledge and be prepared for the change
- What learning do you need for the short to medium term? Where is your company likely to be in 12-18 months and how do you fit into this new world? What skills have you been delaying upgrading or might you need in the not so distant future?
- Take the time to identify your development needs now and book that training (before potential budgets may be cut).
- How do you want to develop your learning in the longer term? Where do you want to be in 5 years? There may be new roles to apply for? Potential for contract work? Now may be the time to diversify and pursue some new skillsets.
Embrace the change and stay positive
- Further reduce any stress and anxiety by making sure you look after yourself when experiencing change- it’s very easy to get too busy and forget to look after number one when adapting to change but remember to eat, sleep, move and relax well to keep you at the top of your game.
- Keep in touch – make sure you are talking to the right people to help you embrace the change and stay positive- Managers, HR, new and old colleagues, forums, friends etc
- Get out of your comfort zone and always continue learning. This will give you the confidence in uncertain times. Have you access to online learning? Collaborate with colleagues to learn together? Keep focussed on your learning plans and resilience strategy.
And finally reflect and repeat
What worked? What didn’t? Where are your learning needs now? What next? Work out how you can tackle the next challenge using this same way of thinking.
Perhaps one question to always ask yourself in times of change or at regular intervals must be – how must I lead and adapt myself in the workplace? Just as your company must lead and adapt to stay ahead in the marketplace.
Free learning plan consultation
If you feel you would benefit from having a chat with one of our consultants about your learning plans, we are offering free 20 minutes consultations between now and the 12th May. Please do get in touch, we love talking about learning.